A water loss occurred at a residence when a water heater catastrophically failed. An ACS Engineer was hired to investigate. The drain valve to the water heater was removed by hand, not requiring tools. The failure was due to corrosion to the tank of the water heater. The corrosion extended upwards from the failure point … More From the Archives: Water Heater Failure
ACS Engineers, Elizabeth Jensen and Edward Jensen, share insights with a peer reviewed journal article into how to evaluate an operator’s manual based on our experience in engineering & safety!
A residential home was destroyed by fire that had originated in the attic in the vicinity of a propane furnace vent. An ACS engineer investigated the fire. After ruling out electrical systems in the area of origin, it was determined that the propane furnace had been venting into the attic space rather than externally from … More From the Archives: House Fire #1
This month’s (February 2019) Plumbing Engineer magazine featured an article discussing insulation engineering considerations. The general topics covered are the major points that need to be addressed: (a) the basics (b) history of thermal insulation (c) how heat transfer works and (d) applicable codes and standards. This makes it a great reference article. An expert … More “Thermal Insulation for Buildings, Pipe and Mechanical Equipment”, a Complication
Assigned to investigate a residence fire, the effort was made to determine if an active appliance caused the fire. Electrical components of the residence consisted of the circuit breaker panel, the electrical wiring in a pile of debris, and an air handling unit. The circuit breaker panel showed no evidence of malfunction. The appliances formerly … More From the Archives: Indeterminate Fire